EMF worries? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 10 09:59:59 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Electromagnetic fields are produced any time you have current flowing
through wire. They are low frequency waves that drop off rapidly
proportional to the distance from the source. Inverters, transformers,
fluorescent light ballasts, motors, clock radios, power blocks, microwave
ovens, kilowatt hour meters, service panels all emit EMF. There is no
practical way to block EMF.  It passes through almost everything including
walls and even lead. There is no U.S. safety standard for EMF. Some say 8
milligauss or more is dangerous and 2.5 milligauss or less is safe. I went
through our home about 10 years ago using a borrowed milligauss meter
(thanks David Katz). Our utility meter service had significant EMF, but that
was not a problem since it is mounted on an outside wall and there is a
closet between the living space and the meter. The EMF had fallen to safe
levels between the wall and the closet door. The bedroom clock radio was the
second largest EMF source in our home. Moving the clock 1 foot away from the
bed to the other side of the night stand brought the EMF levels under 2
milligauss. Our SW4048 inverter emitted a field that fell to a safe level 2
feet from the inverter. I tell people not to put their bed against the wall
where their utility service panel or inverter is mounted. I also tell them
that the Japanese did a 2 year study of school children riding the Tokyo
subway (big EMF emitter) and found that there was no danger. It's good to be
cautious (says the guy who breathes Los Angeles air).
Joel Davidson