EMF worries? [RE-wrenches]

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Thu Apr 10 11:32:21 PDT 2008

Remember that Solar Energy itself is Electro-Magnetic radiation (RF)
that hits the earth with an intensity of around 1000 Watts per square
meter of area. The EMF from semi-nearby RF sources are on the order of
micro-Watts or milli-Watts per square meter of area, unless you are
right next to a transmitter antenna... Then it might be a few Watts.

 You "feel warm" when you are in the sun.  That's the "heating effect"
PLUS ionizing radiation from the UV spectrum that is present, that can
actually cause skin cancer if you get too much of it. Can't live with it
and can't live without it (Vitamin D). The radiation I think you are
talking about are very low  and have some DNA mutation energy levels
present (UV).   I'm certainly not worried about it.

If you have "changing" current (AC) in a wire, it produces EMF (RF).  If
it is DC (not changing current flow) in a wire, it creates magnetic
fields.   You have to have both, changing electric AND magnetic fields
together to create radio waves (EMF, RFI, whatever).

Also there is "near field" and "far field" radiation.  When you are
nearer  to the antenna (or inverter) that is doing the radiating than
around one wavelength, (the lower the frequency, the longer the
wavelength), then you are in the "near" field, and the magnetic and the
electric fields are more predominant.  When you get farther away, like
93 millions miles from the sun or miles away from a transmitter, then it
is strictly RF or Electromagnetic Radiation where the magnetic and
electric portions of the radiation sustain each other and are considered
as RF energy transmission.

Then there's the recent cell phone concerns that says the problem is not
the RF itself, but the the hundreds of Hertz modulation effects that can
cause health problems in your head.  Maybe something to that, I really
don't know.  If so, it sounds like a near field problem to me.  Probably
from the electric field part cuz it sure isn't the heating or ionizing
radiation effects.

My $0.02 for today.

boB Gudgel K7IQ
MidNite/Magnum  Solar/Energy