s!5 Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design jeffc at villagepower.com
Fri Mar 28 17:57:13 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Hi Chris,

When you say "above the clips" , I take it to
mean you mean directly on the clips and therefore
clamping the two panel sandwich and the clip
itself.  Or do you mean slightly above that as in
up the roof slope.  Aaron's concern of needing to
allow for thermal expansion is a good one as
steel expands about 1/8" every 15'  for a 100º
delta ºF.  And there are metal roof companies
that do claim sliding clips and hence longer life
and no buckling on large roofs.   So it seems
like it might be a good idea to clamp the S5!
clip a few inches away from the SS clip along the
seam - however, even this amount of pinching of
the sandwich might bind the clip.    Of course on
a residential roof of say 30' long we are dealing
with 1/8" from center to either end.  But I could
see how that would cause some stress on the clips
and roof.

And we should be clear hear whether we are
talking the standard residential SS with their 1
- 1.25" seams or the 3" commercial seams.

I have this question into my SS roofer.  What do others think about this?

Jeff Clearwater
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer
Village Power Design

>	The best solution for S-5 is to mount above the clips but in
>most cases that is not possible. The lack of data is because of the
>sources that are being used. The roofing distributors do not pay much
>attention to pull off loading situations. S-5 and their distributors do
>not list pull off testing on standing seam roofs. I do not know if they
>have this information. They test pulling along the seam this gives great
>values for snow retention but it is an in accurate result for our
>purposes. Depending on the seam type and the clip spacing we can make
>some basic assumption in this design step but it greatly depends on the
>type of roof and strength of the seam. If you pull on say a Butler SMR24
>roof with the roof clips spacing at 48" the over clip test shows a
>failure at around 900 lbs but if you pull on it mid span the roof will
>buckle at half of that value. In the residential world they tend to use
>architectural roofs with 6 to 12" roof clip spacing in this instance the
>buckling becomes less of an issue but the pull out value of the clip is
>normally less since they attach to the decking and not the structural
>members some roofers may install this roof type with nails and not
>screws.
>
>	Locating the roof clips normally can be down by inspecting the
>under side of the roof and measuring where the roof clips screws come
>trough the decking.
>
>	One fairly safe practice is to use one S-5 for every seam you
>cross. But sometimes this is over kill.
>
>Chris Meier
>
>Product Manager
>
>UniRac, Inc.
>
>1411 Broadway Blvd. NE
>
>Albuquerque, NM   87102-1545
>
>Ph:  505-242-6411
>
>Fx:  505-242-6412
>
>Email:  chrism at unirac.com
>
>Web:   http://www.unirac.com
>

>This message contains confidential and privileged information, which is
>intended for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  It should not
>be reviewed, retransmitted, disseminated, or otherwise used by a
>person(s) or entities other than the intended recipient.  If you
>received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
>material from your computer system(s).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com
NABCEP (tm) Certified Solar PV Installer

Voice: 413-259-3776
Fax: 413-825-0703
65 Schoolhouse Rd
Amherst, MA 01002