s!5 Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Chris Meier chrism at unirac.com
Wed Mar 26 16:20:00 PDT 2008

	The best solution for S-5 is to mount above the clips but in
most cases that is not possible. The lack of data is because of the
sources that are being used. The roofing distributors do not pay much
attention to pull off loading situations. S-5 and their distributors do
not list pull off testing on standing seam roofs. I do not know if they
have this information. They test pulling along the seam this gives great
values for snow retention but it is an in accurate result for our
purposes. Depending on the seam type and the clip spacing we can make
some basic assumption in this design step but it greatly depends on the
type of roof and strength of the seam. If you pull on say a Butler SMR24
roof with the roof clips spacing at 48" the over clip test shows a
failure at around 900 lbs but if you pull on it mid span the roof will
buckle at half of that value. In the residential world they tend to use
architectural roofs with 6 to 12" roof clip spacing in this instance the
buckling becomes less of an issue but the pull out value of the clip is
normally less since they attach to the decking and not the structural
members some roofers may install this roof type with nails and not
screws.

	Locating the roof clips normally can be down by inspecting the
under side of the roof and measuring where the roof clips screws come
trough the decking.

	One fairly safe practice is to use one S-5 for every seam you
cross. But sometimes this is over kill.

Chris Meier

Product Manager

UniRac, Inc.

1411 Broadway Blvd. NE

Albuquerque, NM   87102-1545

Ph:  505-242-6411

Fx:  505-242-6412

Email:  chrism at unirac.com

Web:   http://www.unirac.com

This message contains confidential and privileged information, which is
intended for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  It should not
be reviewed, retransmitted, disseminated, or otherwise used by a
person(s) or entities other than the intended recipient.  If you
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from your computer system(s).