Honda home cogeneration [RE-wrenches]

Nick Houser offgrid at prcn.org
Wed Feb 27 17:55:53 PST 2008

Thanks for the Link, Rob, but I was hoping something like this was past
the vaporware stage. The article I reads in the latest "Electrical Line"
magazine stated that more than 50 thousand of the Honda units were
aLREADY IN USE IN JAPAN, AND A PILOT TPRGRAM UNDERWAY IN n.e> US. I was
hoping one of our fellow wrenches might have some hands-on experience.
Offgridnick in BC
Rob Harlan wrote:

> One of the more progressive utilities here in Canada, as part of their
> distributed generation program, is considering selling to customers a
> cogeneration unit the size of a dishwasher which would provide both heat
> and
> power via natural gas plus a sterling engine.   They are claiming that
> while
> meeting the hot water and space heating needs of a typical house (during
> Canadian winter) they can provide 12kWh/day (or 33%-100% of household
> needs)
> of electricity. When fully operating it puts out 1000 watts. They say
> that a
> company in Spain is gearing up for producing 50,000 of these for
> European
> markets.
>

> http://www.enmax.com/NR/rdonlyres/AAE0011D-18FF-4A5E-87B2-C4E4E0E0C6B5/0/Gre
>
> enEnergy_whispergen.pdf
>
> Besides the fact that we are running out of natural gas it seems like an
> easy way for a segment of the population to enter into distributed
> generation and it is a step above coal-fired electricity. They are also
> testing a 1.8kw wind turbine for their rural customers...
> Rob
>
> Rob Harlan
> Executive Director
> Solar Energy Society of Canada
> Northern Alberta Chapter
> (780) 439-5608
>

> On 2/27/08 8:29 AM, "Nick  Houser" <offgrid at prcn.org> wrote:
>

> > Anybody out there have hands on experience with the limited
> > production "Ecowill"  unit from Honda that supposedly produces
> > electricity and hot water from natural gas at a conversion
> > efficiency of 85%? Is this for real?
> >

> > - - - -
> > Hosted by Home Power magazine
> >
> > To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com
> >
> > Archive of previous messages:
> > http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
> >
> > List rules & how to change your email address:
> > www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
> >
> > Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
> >
> > Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
> >

> --

I may look idle, but on a celular level I'm really quite busy.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com
This email was sent to: michael.welch at re-wrenches.org