Inverter meters; was Batteryless inverter recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bbassett at hei.net
Wed Feb 27 08:24:38 PST 2008

Thanks Jeff for bringing up those good points Matt came up with.

1. Check
2. Meter is on output of inverter only so, SB is about PF 1 right?
3. Check ditto above and only goes one way.
4. Check
5. One of them is still wrong.

Also there was talk a while back about some kWh meters not being very
accurate below 200 watts, but I think that was mostly in mechanical
meters being a little sticky, and this is a digital meter.

Brad
AEE Solar

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design wrote:

> I've brought this to the attention of the List in the past (See 5/18/
> - 5/20/06 - KWH meter discrepancy).  Matt replied with a very
> complete list of possible causes (below).
>
> We do really need to get to the bottom of it.  Any more thoughts or
> updates since May of '06 Matt?  Others?
>
> Best,
>
> Jeff Clearwater
> Village Power Design
>
> At 10:04 AM -0700 5/20/06, Matt Lafferty wrote:
> >Wrenches,
> >
> >I see a couple of things "missing" from the descriptions in this thread
> >for
> >a conclusive determination of the true cause for the discrepancies...
> >
> >1) Hours of operation.  In many cases, even though it is generally
> >"prohibited", the PV systems will have a number of hours or days
> >"head-start" on the PV Generation Meters.  I've seen numerous cases
> >where
> >this accounts for over a month of production on the inverters by the
> >time
> >the PV Meter is installed.  If your comparisons have been made on
> >relatively
> >new systems, there is a good chance some of your discrepancy is related
> >this.  It is important to take a reading on both meters at the same
> >time,
> >then take another reading some time later for proper comparisons.  The
> >longer the time interval between readings, the more accurate your
> >comparison
> >results will be.  (I'm not saying they will be identical by any means.)
> >
> >2) Most revenue grade kWH meters account for power factor losses to some
> >degree.  What this means is that a site with a low power factor actually
> >"uses" more energy to do the same "work" as far as the meter is
> >concerned.
> >This is a double-bite for our purposes... The Customer is paying for kWH
> >that they wouldn't need if the PF was 1.00 and their PV Meter is
> >recording
> >the opposite effect. This occurs regardless of whether the low power
> >factor
> >is "incoming" or "site-caused. I can't speak for the Inverter Manus, but
> >my
> >observations, testing, and comparisons have led me to the conclusion
> >that
> >their metering does not account for this as accurately as revenue grade
> >kWH
> >meters.  (Note: It is common for utilities to deny this and/or claim
> >that
> >the low PF is caused by the Customer.  I've seen them claim that they
> >are
> >"losing revenue" because of this issue.)
> >
> >3) Most revenue grade kWH meters are very accurate in the "forward"
> >direction (+/- .5%), but wildly vary in their accuracy when running
> >"backward". This aspect is huge on a number of fronts and there isn't
> >room
> [...]

Brad Bassett

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php