Rinnai boiler controller [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Feb 8 02:43:12 PST 2008

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the update. Rinnai makes more than one model, can you, please,
identify which flavor you have and the approximate vintage?

As an aside for anyone who is interested in eliminating the tankless water
heater controller compatibility problem altogether - choose a tankless which
does not require electric to operate. Of the five major _manufacturers_ that
market to North America, only Bosch and Paloma offer _natural draft_ units.
One primary reason the standing pilot models come equipped with a (manual)
piezo sparker is to be able to turn off even the pilot gas use when not
requiring hot water and then relight the pilot relatively effortlessly. Yes,
that takes away some of the automatic feature of flow actuation but it just
depends where the priorities are. No electric required can be a tremendous
benefit. Paloma uses the terminology "Mission-Critical Reliability" in
describing their natural draft models. Terminology that is nowhere to be
found in _anybody's_ description of the power vented machines. Paloma also
operates on the lowest water pressure of any of the Big Five manufacturers.

Natural draft tankless water heaters, available to North America, come in
the following sizes:

Bosch
117,000 BTU/h both standing pilot and hydro-generated pilot

Paloma (all standing pilot)
178,500 BTU/h
89,000
43,800