Standoffs [RE-wrenches]

David Brearley david at meridiansolar.com
Thu Feb 7 11:25:42 PST 2008

Max,

This really is a perfect job to work with an engineer on.  It usually costs
us $500 - $600 to do the math something like this and get a PE's
certification.  This is cheap insurance when you think about it.  It
probably isn't a huge percentage increase in the cost to your customer.

My first thought was the same as Kirpal's.  We have had no problem getting
engineering approval for DP&W's "EZ" Feet on 1/2 inch plywood.  We have even
been able to use this on SIPS that used OSB sheathing after completing pull
out tests on site.  We have no snow loading issues here in Austin and modest
design-to wind speeds, at least one of which applies in Palm Springs.  The
one thing we don't have are seismic considerations.  I'm not sure how this
will change the engineer's calculations.  It is worth looking into.

As a one-time carpenter myself, I do like Allan's idea.  If the SIPS panel
has something more structural, you can put this to good use.  If this is new
construction, you may even be able to special order SIPS w/ a 2 x 4 on the
seam.

Here is one other piece of hardware that might be useful:
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-15674

Worst case scenario, I suppose you come up with a through-bolt detail.  This
may not be an option if your client has exposed/vaulted ceilings.

Please let us know how you solve this.  We'll all see more roofs like this
in the future.

Best regards,

David C. Brearley
VP of Design
NABCEP Certified Solar Installer

Meridian Energy Systems, Inc. (TECL: 24461)
2300 S. Lamar Blvd., Ste. 107
Austin, Texas 78704
P: 512-448-0055
F: 512-448-0045