pole mounting and conduit questions [RE-wrenches]

Walt Ratterman wratterman at SunEnergyPower.com
Wed Jan 23 06:56:18 PST 2008

When I was doing electrical construction work, it was, and still is,
common accepted practice to run electrical wires, without conduit, up
through light poles with just a pvc conduit stub-up out of the concrete,
and an appropriate exit point at the top of the pole.  I have done this
in at least 6 states and more than 20 counties, and this was never, ever
questioned.  So, I would think it would have a chance of being
acceptable for the PV Poles as well.  The ground wire was run inside the
pole as well, and lugged to the pole in a handhole at the bottom of the
pole.  I think the handhole (junction box with accessible cover) would
be an important part of the pole design.

Walt Ratterman
SunEnergy Power International

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Irish [mailto:jeff at hvce.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:47 AM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: pole mounting and conduit questions [RE-wrenches]

Talk to your AHJ.  Ours let us slip the base plate and column over an 8
inch
high PVC stub out in the concrete base and run THWN-2 wire up the inside
of
the column.  Technically a 6 inch diameter steel pipe with 1/4 inch
thick
walls is not a UL listed conduit but our AHJs believe adding an interior
PVC
conduit would be silly and that the steel pipe provides more than
adequate
protection.  One however, requires us to run bare #6 down the outside of
the
column.

Jeff Irish
Hudson Valley Clean Energy