pole mounting and conduit questions [RE-wrenches]

max balchowsky max at seesolar.com
Wed Jan 23 08:33:00 PST 2008

I did Traffic Signal and street light installation and maintenance for years and every signal controlled intersection you drive through has steel poles with # 12 and # 10 THHN running thru them...... The conduit is stubbed up into the pole and if it is rigid it has a ground bushing with a lug for the ground wire. The terminal blocks for the wires have provision for grounding also so the pole and conduit are bonded.

  Max Balchowsky
  SEE Systems

Nicholas Ponzio <nponzio at buildingenergyus.com> wrote:
  Does anyone have experience running conduit up through a pole? How do
you enter the pipe at the bottom? And do you run conduit all the way
up the pole or does the pole itself become your conduit?

We're using anchor bolts with a pre-welded plate on the bottom of the
steel pipe. See photo here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14918878@N04/2214585386/

What I'd like to do is run conduit up the inside of the pole and exit
through the "gimble" on the poletop. See an example of a light post
here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14918878@N04/2214578212/
I haven't seen this done with PV but I'm sure it's possible. The DP&W
racks come with a knockout on the gimble, for this purpose. Not sure
about Zomeworks, though.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nik