Sharp SunVista [RE-wrenches]

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Sat Jan 5 10:47:54 PST 2008

I have purchased two maybe three over the past five years. They all are
holding up or I would have heard about it. As far as I can tell, it is (was)
the only inverter on the market that had truly independent DC inputs. I
probed the DC inputs for current and voltage for a system that had two
S-facing sub-arrays and one nearly flat sub-array, and these measurements
appeared to indicate that the DC operating points were independent. With the
limited time that I devoted to it, I could _not_ say that the each of the
three inputs were indeed independently tracing at maximum power.

I would contact Sharp customer service in Huntington Beach CA.

Incidently I believe that I am still a Sharp Certified service technician,
but I haven't been asked to perform any service calls for Sharp. My contact
for this certification was John Hardwick. I can't recommend Hardwick in
general as it is difficult to reach him and in specific on one occasion
regarding getting information regarding the possibility of the inverter
backfeeding PV strings he was not helpful at all. The Huntington Beach
facility is a big one and I am sure that there are other people there that
are willing to work with you on this issue.

At the Solar 2007 show in Long Beach I was told that there is a replacement
inverter in development but no information at all wrt availability.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com