[RE-wrenches] building permits for PV

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:05:02 PST 2008

Dana,

Washington DC, Baltimore MD, San Francisco, Berkeley and Oakland CA - none
require "roof footing inspections".  However, one of our local AHJs does
require a letter on company letterhead stating our roof guarantee - maybe
something you could try.  We are also required to get structural engineer
stamped drawings in most jurisdictions in Maryland.

This document has some info you might find useful:

http://www.solartech.org/index.php/about/29-objectives/18-buildingpermits

But when faced with unreasonable AHJs I don't think any way foreword is
better than just sitting down with the Head of Permitting and explaining
exactly how you install, preferably with visual aids.  And since yours seems
to be especially worried about leaks make sure you have a good
counterflashed waterproofing solution to show him.  Tell him you want to
work with him but that many solar installs are completed in a day or two and
to accommodate an inspection in the middle severely impacts your project
timeline.

And of course it couldn't hurt to bring a box of donuts.

Good luck!

Andrew Truitt
Standard Solar

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Dana Brandt <dana at ecotechenergy.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like there's a ton of variation from
> one jurisdiction to another. Would you all be willing to send me a list of
> large cities you've worked in that do not require a building permit? I'd
> like to use that to make a case against the requirement.
>
> I just got back from the inspection which verified that - yes indeed, there
> are L-feet and rails on the roof. Seems pretty silly...
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dana
>
> --
> Dana Brandt
> Ecotech Energy Systems, LLC
> www.ecotechenergy.com
> dana at ecotechenergy.com
> 360.510.0433
>

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Paul Israel <paul at sunlightsolar.com>wrote:
>
>>  Dana,
>>

>> Firstly we all truly sympathize, I have never heard of that one!
>>

>> Not one building department - has required that.  We have installed in
>> Oregon, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Reno - Nevada, and Massachusetts.
>>

>> We are inspected consistently for concrete pours (rebar/pads/ground
>> mounts/pole mounts).  For most roofs in CT we are usually required to have
>> an Engineers Stamp for the layout relative to the rafter loading.   It
>> depends on the jurisdiction or whether they had their coffee.  It is random.
>>

>> I would try and push the manufacturer's installation instructions or get a
>> local engineering stamp on the layout as an alternative.
>>

>> On a lighter note, make sure to leave some exposed wet caulk.   After
>> messing up their car, paperwork, and a couple layers of skin they surely
>> won't want to do that again.
>>

>> Good luck and let us know how it works out.
>>

>> Paul N. Israel, President
>>
>> paul at sunlightsolar.com
>>
>> www.sunlightsolar.com
>>
>> 541/389-3480 (Oregon)
>>
>> 203/878-9123 x103 (CT)
>>
>> 860/617-6527 (Cell)

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough