[RE-wrenches] More on AC coupling - SI and SB

Chris Worcester chris at solarwindworks.com
Wed Nov 26 08:57:45 PST 2008

Hi Geoff,

Nice heads up on the SI needing to be “set up” prior to commissioning.

We are getting closer to a similar design ourselves. We have a SB7000US being fed by 36 Sanyo Hit Power 200’s on the drawing board that we are going to feed into a grid tie inverter system. Right now I am convinced that the SI5048’s will need to be paired up in order to feed this amount of current back through them to the grid if there aren’t any loads on in the residence, unless someone can let me know that this is not the case.

I envision each SI requiring its own manual transfer switch between it and the grid, feeding the dedicated loads AC subpanel in case we need to pull it off the wall for servicing. Is this typical in your designs? Rethinking this if one SI is down for repairs the entire AC sub panel will need to be fed by the grid so there is a balanced 240VAC signal to it.

We are looking into the new East Penn Deka Unigy ll sealed batteries. They seem to be a good deal less money than the GNB’s.  Anyone have any experience with these?

With two SI5048’s sucking on this battery bank there is the possibility of some serious current transfer taking place. We are proposing an absolute minimum battery size that can go full load draw down for three hours, to 50% DOD, my inclination is to make this 6 hours. At 3 hours we would need a 500 amp hour battery. What are others doing about battery sizing in this scenario? (our client hasn’t revealed what loads he wants to back up unfortunately so we are approaching this in this manner)

Right now we are still in the dark as to whether or not there will be a gen set involved.

I do know a WebBox will be interfaced between the SI’s and the SB’s.

Thanks for the continuing discussion on this thread and Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Sincerely,

Chris Worcester
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Phone: 530-582-4503