[RE-wrenches] Discussion on Focus

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Tue Nov 11 15:06:40 PST 2008

I am quite glad that the current administration has re-upped and improved
the tax rebates for the next 8 years. I am amazed that the thermal credit
did not receive the same attention that the PV draws and this is my point
that I would like to bring to discussion.

The gas and oil industry has their lobby and they are quite effective. Why
are we as an industry [Solar, I hate the word alternative as it should be
main stream] divided? Why do we not have one focal point representing us?
Why do we not have one focused lobby effort? Instead we have the wind lobby,
the thermal lobby, the PV lobby all pushing for their own small portion, and
what we are ending up with is small portions. Now I do acknowledge that I
have a hard time getting qualified installers even with where the market is
now. But If we are going to take this to the next level and be the main
stream and not the side stream we have to look at this differently and join
forces. We now have the equipment and the interest thanks to the
fluctuations in the energy market. Is everyone ready for the next batch of
$4 and up fuel prices?

We are diluting our long term goal [energy independence, main stream instead
of alternative acceptance] for short term business success measured in the
next extension of the tax credits, or state and local rebates.

I know that I am not the one to do this but I would like to challenge the
groups that exist out there; SIEA, all the local state SEIAs, NABCEP, the
American Wind Energy Association, whomever promotes Thermal? Does anyone
promote Thermal solar; To set aside all the state by state efforts and to
join together for a focused push, lobby, & promotion of the Solar industry.
Lets break out of the micro management and move to the macro - the big
picture in energy, to where we are not the alternative , but where we are
the only publicly accepted intelligent choice for the main harvest of
energy. I know all the arguments about how established the fossil fuel
industry is. I am suggesting that we look at the big picture. If someone is
already doing this please let me know.

I think our time has come. I invite your discussion and comments.

Thanks all for all your input and dedication -

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc
www.solarwork.com
E - dana at solarwork.com