[RE-wrenches] Magnum AGS with Kohler RES 8.5

David Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Fri Oct 31 12:03:08 PDT 2008

Wrenchsters,

We have a new 3.4kW PV off grid installation that includes a Magnum ME-AGS
Auto Gen Start module, Magnum ME-RC50 Remote Control, MS4448AE inverter and
a Kohler 8.5 RES lp gas generator for automatic backup battery charging (16
L-16G's).

We have successfully used a Magnum AGS control Magnum with an older 3 wire
start Onan although it took some time in finding 12 volts that is only on
when the gen is running (typically the hour meter power).

With the Kohler 8.5 RES there is no hour meter or other obvious location in
the generator for 12v power that is only on when the gen is running. We
called Magnum from the site only to be told that all of the information we
needed was on line. The man was still un-helpful when we told him that we
were on a remote installation with no internet access. Now I'm back at the
shop and on the web. On the Magnum web site I see a hook-up diagram for
their AGS with a Kohler RMY series generator. Nothing for a RES series.

Next time we'll go back to OutBack.

Any help that the wrench community can lend on working this situation out
would be appreciated.

Dave Palumbo
Independent Power LLC