[RE-wrenches] crystalline VS uni-solar

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Oct 31 10:35:30 PDT 2008

Hi Jay,

 From my own Unisolar installations, and many comments from installers
all over the US, I have to say that the system on the North coast is
some kind of an anomaly if it isn't performing at least as well as a
crystalline system of = power rating at the same or similar site with
the same or similar degree of pitch. One possible answer could be
related to the height of the standing seams at this installation, since
the higher the seam, the greater the losses from shading (assuming that
the array is oriented South). I have had good results from a shallow
pitched East/West roof (!) with US modules because of the reduced
morning and evening shading from the seams, and maybe not such great
output from Southerly oriented arrays with a high standing seam roof.

However, it is absolutely the case that Unisolar modules will still
produce energy while partly shaded, and this applies to entire strings
as well. Because of this, they are a great choice for locations that
might experience transient shading from utility poles, chimneys, trees, etc.

Matt T