[RE-wrenches] California solar intiatives

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 5 13:48:48 PDT 2008

Hello Jay,

CalSEIA (and I) am opposed to Prop 7 because, among other things, it would
exclude renewable projects that are 30MW or less from counting toward the
State's Renewable Portfolio Standard. If Prop 7 becomes law, it will
adversely impact the developing markets for distributed solar technologies
that are located close to load centers and reduce market opportunities for
many solar companies throughout California. Ensuring that <30MW systems can
be counted toward RPS goals is very important to expanding the use of solar
in California. The Prop 7 people seem well-intentioned and probably got
their >30 MW language from the distinction between small and large hydro
(large hydro is bad ecology). I am not a "small is beautiful" hardliner
because some big problems require big solutions. I think that the world
needs both small and large scale PV. We need Jay's PV and PG&E's 800 MW PV
too.

Prop 10 is another story. The Los Angeles Times editorialized against Prop
10 on September 19, saying, "Spending bond money on something as intangible
as privately owned vehicles is a terrible idea unless there is a clear
public benefit." The Santa Monica Mirror said, "Self-serving Prop. 10 sounds
good, should lose." See
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/California_Proposition_10_(2008) T.
Boone Pickens will definitely benefit from his Prop 10. I think he is smart
enough to figure out a market-driven way to sell and fuel more natural gas
vehicles. I also think that one of Prop 10's supporters, the California Air
Resources Board, failed in their duty to the public when the caved to the
automobile and fossil fuel industries and killed the electric vehicle
mandate. Take fossil fuels out of Prop 10 and I might be in favor of it, but
I am against burdening the next generation with another $10 billion debt for
a transitional technology like slightly cleaner vehicles. Let's make the
great leap forward and end our addiction to fossil fuels asap.

Joel Davidson