[RE-wrenches] Magnum: meter won't reset; Internal Bridge error

boB Gudgel bob at midnitesolar.com
Mon Sep 22 11:18:39 PDT 2008

Mark,
Does this customer have another charging source besides a generator,
like PV  ?   That last few percent SOC
into the batteries is very inefficient of course.  If they are  starting
to charge their batteries only when the inverter cuts
out due to under-voltage cut out, it may be that they have more of a
problem than getting that last 1% into the
bank ?   Even if it's charged to anywhere ~near~ 99%, the bank is
running down pretty low (less than 50% SOC anyway)

OK, so the BMK (Magnum's battery monitor),  uses 3 criteria which must
all be met before it will give you that
last 1% State Of Charge....

1) The return Amps must go below 2% of the Amp-Hour setting for the
battery bank (settings via the remote).

2)  Battery voltage Vs. Time...  The battery voltage must remain at a
voltage for a certain amount of time.
    The lower the battery voltage, the longer this time it must remain
there. .As long as criteria 1 and 3 are met,
    say, if you were in Float (~13.5V per 12V battery), that time is
around 10 minutes.

3) The Amp-Hours IN-to the battery must be within 1% of the A-H that
came OUT.

I am assured (from Magnum) that when it reads 99% SOC it is at ~least~
99% SOC.

As for the bridge fault error, It may or may not be an actual problem.
There has been (as I thought) a software fix in case it
is a nuisance message, that did plague a few of the earlier MS4448AE units.

This all being said, I have included (below) an email I received from
Glen Darby, one of our customer service guys downstairs.

Have a day and 1/2  !
boB Gudgel

Bob,
Your question

(1) Magnum's integrated battery monitor hasn't done a 100% reset for some
 > time. It counts up to 99%, no more Is this an equipment glitch? OR:
should we fool the system into repeating the
 > bulk charge to try again for the reset?

I would try setting the total amp hrs a little lower and do a reset.

2) The client reports an "Internal Bridge" fault.

This is not normal and if this fault comes back again, the customer
should call our tech
support (425-353-8833) at the time it is in a fault mode so we can
trouble shoot the unit.
The Internal Bridge fault means that the unit senses no ac output
voltage or current when
it senses voltage on the input. It shuts down to protect the fets.  This
should not be
caused by the low DCV.

Thank you

(Glen)