[RE-wrenches] Summer cooling

R. Walters walters at taosnet.com
Wed Aug 20 15:33:02 PDT 2008

Hi Dana;

In-floor heating of a super insulated building is a great idea.  In-
floor cooling however, has some serious condensation problems and is
not a good idea.
In earth Air duct systems can harbor mold and Legionaries' disease.
Here in Northern New Mexico we use adobes (lots of thermal mass) and
open up to the cool night air. When I lived through Texas summers,
you either ponied up for AC, went to your mountain home, or suffered.
You stated the first 2 steps:
super insulate & increase thermal mass.
Next ?? :
Reduce your cubic footage of air conditioned space.
Reduce east & west glazing
Grow overhanging deciduous trees on the East & West
Use Fans
Use some evaporative cooling if possible
Use small High efficiency AC units (Sanjo?)
Raise thermostat
Use geothermal heat pumps
Migrate?
?........