[RE-wrenches] Three-Phase Generator feeding Series/Parallel Quad Stack

Phil Undercuffler P.Undercuffler at conergy.us
Tue Jul 29 09:59:31 PDT 2008

William, I believe you're right about the 180 degree / 120 degree differential. This is similar to the condition that fried the input relays on a handful of XW inverters which were connected to 120/208 three phase inputs.  In fact, Xantrex published a technical bulletin about the issue, available at http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/246/p/docs/pt/18/product.asp

To quote, "Input power ... cannot be simply derived from a phase or line voltage of a three phase 208:120Y or 240VΔ AC source. Instead of cancelling each other as they would with a split-phase source, each 120° out-of-phase leg effectively creates a short circuit (limited by the impedance of the transformer and the wiring), which leads to very high currents flowing on the neutral line causing imminent failure of the inverter's AC relay board."

The bad news is, Classic Stacking won't solve the problem; Classic is limited to two inverters max, and this installation is a quad.  I'm also not sure whether the excessive current flowing on neutral issue would be resolved with the elimination of the transformer, and whether the problem would then just move upstream to the next weakest link, the input relays of the FX.

Xantrex's solution in that technical bulletin (big transformer taking off 1 leg of 3 phase service, converting to 240v) obviously won't work to balance the generator, nor will parallel stacking the quad stack.  I would look into rewiring the genset for 120/240v output, or go hunting for three phase converters.

Phil Undercuffler
Director, Battery-based and Off-grid
Conergy, Inc.
Our World is Full of Energy