690.47 (was Enphase) [RE-wrenches]

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Jun 13 09:07:46 PDT 2008

Ray,

As far as 2008 690.47(D), as usual the code is not clear.

"Grounding electrode shall be installed.....as close as practicable..." and
"Exception No.2...shall not be required if located within 6 ft. of the
premise wiring electrode."

So you tell me, is your premise electrode located as close a practicable to
the roof mounted array?  Again, this important decision will be left in the
hands of the AHJ.

In any case it appears that the intent of the Code is that a separate DC
ground electrode conductor shall be run from the array frame to the
additional electrode (or premise wiring electrode if determined to be in the
practicable location).  Now, my understanding of this version of the Code is
that the intent was that this GEC conductor would not have to be bonded to
the other ground electrode systems on the premise. But it appears that in
fact the Code ends up requiring that that this additional array ground
system be bonded to the premise system.

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
271 Vistamont Dr