690.47 (was Enphase) [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters walters at taosnet.com
Fri Jun 13 03:41:03 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

I had a question regarding the 2008 version of 690.47. It looks like
a lot of changes occurred. 690.47 (D) seems to require a separate
grounding electrode at the inverter and array if located more than 6
ft from the premises ground. But the wording is unclear to me: is
this required? or does this section merely cover supplemental
grounding if you choose to do so?
690.47 also appears to have removed the limit on not having to use
larger than #6 for the GEC. My read is that with a DC breaker rated
at 250 amps, we would now have to use #4 if we were bonding to a UFER
ground (250.166 (D)

THanks for your clarification in advance,

Ray Walters

On Jun 12, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Bill Brooks wrote:

> The 2008 NEC allows sizing of combined GEC and EGC to be same size
> as EGC in
> 690.47(C) in an inverter with GFP. Whether it should be allowed or
> not is
> another issue. In California, using the 2005 NEC, 8AWG is the
> smallest GEC
> allowed.
>
> Bill.

R. Walters