690.47 (was Enphase) [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Fri Jun 13 12:04:55 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Mark,

I agree that here is ambiguity in this section.  In the quote below,
it is unclear as to me as to what is located within 6 ft of the
premise wiring electrode.

Quote:
"Exception No. 2:  Additional array grounding electrode(s) shall not
be required if located within 6 ft of the premises wiring electrode."

I had interpreted this to mean that if the rooftop array was within 6
feet of the premise wiring electrode, the additional electrode would
not be required.  If the additional electrode was within 6 feet of
the premises wiring electrode, and therefore not be required, then it
is there but not required.  It would only not be required if it were
there, and within 6 feet.   So it must mean within 6 feet of the
array.  If that is the case, does this mean within 6 feet
horizontally, since most roofs are over 6 feet high?

On the issue of the other GEC, I also don't see how we get past the
requirements of 250.166 (a) , which is referenced in
690.47(c)(7).  Inspectors we have dealt with seem ok using wires down
to the neutral conductor size.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php