Here we go again![RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 12 09:06:51 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Opposition to solar subsidies benefits the petroleum, coal, gas, and nuclear
industries and further tilts the already unlevel playing field because
petroleum, coal, gas, and nuclear industries' subsidies are not going away.

Granted, PV is not 50 cents per watt as was predicted in the 1960s, but
unsubsidized PV watts and kilowatt-hours are cheaper than they were and are
still coming down. The decrease in price is not as fast as some of us would
like, but it is enough to finally get the attention of electric utilities.

In the 1980s, the solar industry tried to sell PV to utility companies, but
they would not buy even though ratepayers were, and still are, willing to
pay more for solar electricity. The PV industry in California worked hard to
get a PV net metering law (1996) and get a PV subsidy (1998) to serve
ratepayers' unfulfilled need. Now that California has a very popular 10-year
$3 billion PV subsidy and the U.S. PV industry is booming, the electric
utilities want a piece of the action. Well, they are welcome to join the
solar world...finally. Perhaps this time they will start buying PV. Just
make sure your local utility buys PV with their profits and not ratepayer or
taxpayer subsidies.

Joel Davidson