NABCEP test [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Mon Mar 24 12:50:16 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

Greetings Gents and Ladies,
While this thread seems to have more or less resolved itself, the BoD
of NABCEP will be discussing your concerns ASAP. We'll do that not
because there was any movement or action to dumb down the test, but
just because y'all are concerned. Good 'nuff reason to kick it around
a little, IMO.
I don't sit on the technical committee who writes the Certification
test, so I haven't seen the question pool, but I can only agree with
Don Loweberg and others that the test is as challenging as it ever
was. By way of proof, I can only offer up an observation by my
apprentice, who just took the last test in Eugene, OR with Kirpal. He
said that of the nearly 20 folks sitting for the test, only two left
the testing room early after presumably finishing it. EVERYONE else
stayed the full four hours. Doesn't sound too easy to me!
He also made a comment about the Study Guide not accurately
reflecting the task analysis and therefore the test question pool. I
think that is a far more legitimate concern, as the Study Guide
doesn't get updated nearly as often as the question pool. That said,
the Guide is just a guide and there are many other reference
materials that need to be studied before a candidate can feel
confident that he/she has the knowledge to pass the test. A list of
those is provided on the NABCEP website under resources.
I was one of those Solar Bozos who took the initial test in 2001. It
was a different test because it was a different era in the
development of PV. Technology has changed and best practices have
changed with it. Our common knowledge about all this stuff has
improved greatly as well. This List can take a bunch of the credit
for that. I would HOPE that the NABCEP test would seem easier to
those newer Bozos who have been paying attention. Ya know?
Amor y Paz,
Bob-O

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php