NABCEP test [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 18:02:46 PDT 2008

I am glad to hear that NABCEP will look at this issue.
 But with 100% agreement on the test being dumbed
down, it is a steep hill to climb to prove that all
these people are wrong.  Particularly when people who
have taken it before have said the same as new comers.
 .  If NABCEP wants support it has to have standards.
.

If the quality of the product deteriorates to the
1980s water heaters, it is going to be a slow and
painful climb.

As to the study guide, full of mistakes by the way,
you can write the task analysis from the study guide.
You can write the task analysis list from the study
guide.  The study guide is long over due for an
overhaul, it is an embarrassment, but NABCEP must know
this as I and I am sure many others have sent in this
information over the past two or three years.

The task analysis was well thought out, lets see how
we can help NaBCEp get back on its feet.

Darryl
--- "Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection"
<econnect at snowcrest.net> wrote:

> Greetings Gents and Ladies,
> While this thread seems to have more or less
> resolved itself, the BoD
> of NABCEP will be discussing your concerns ASAP.
> We'll do that not
> because there was any movement or action to dumb
> down the test, but
> just because y'all are concerned. Good 'nuff reason
> to kick it around
> a little, IMO.
> I don't sit on the technical committee who writes
> the Certification
> test, so I haven't seen the question pool, but I can
> only agree with
> Don Loweberg and others that the test is as
> challenging as it ever
> was. By way of proof, I can only offer up an
> observation by my
> apprentice, who just took the last test in Eugene,
> OR with Kirpal. He
> said that of the nearly 20 folks sitting for the
> test, only two left
> the testing room early after presumably finishing
> it. EVERYONE else
> stayed the full four hours. Doesn't sound too easy
> to me!
> He also made a comment about the Study Guide not
> accurately
> reflecting the task analysis and therefore the test
> question pool. I
> think that is a far more legitimate concern, as the
> Study Guide
> doesn't get updated nearly as often as the question
> pool. That said,
> the Guide is just a guide and there are many other
> reference
> materials that need to be studied before a candidate
> can feel
> confident that he/she has the knowledge to pass the
> test. A list of
> those is provided on the NABCEP website under
> resources.
> I was one of those Solar Bozos who took the initial
> test in 2001. It
> was a different test because it was a different era
> in the
> development of PV. Technology has changed and best
> practices have
> changed with it. Our common knowledge about all this
> stuff has
> improved greatly as well. This List can take a bunch
> of the credit
> for that. I would HOPE that the NABCEP test would
> seem easier to
> those newer Bozos who have been paying attention. Ya
> know?
> Amor y Paz,
> Bob-O
>

> - - - -