Tax incentives for solar water pumping? [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Fri Feb 15 08:30:53 PST 2008

Over the years there's been variety of hybrid cost share programs in my
region.  They utilize both Federal and State monies.  In some cases they pay
for 90% of the system.  I've normally seen them associated with rotational
grazing programs and efforts to get the livestock out of running water.

Since they require the farmer ("producer" is the PC name nowadays) to fence
off the creek and open his farm to annual tours a high % of farmers pass on
them.

In the last few year a different USDA cost share program was created that
will pay up 25% of energy projects on farms and I believe small businesses.
But from my experience and what others have told me the paper work and post
project requirements is nothing short of oppressive.  So unless you are
doing at least a $200k project you'd be better off taking a weekend job at
McDonalds because you would earn more money in the same amount of hours
you'd spend working on the paperwork.  I did talk to a USDA employee
recently who told me that they had recently greatly simplified the
paperwork.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services