no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Tue Jan 22 00:52:05 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Bill:

Great idea, but this one sounds like one of those easier-said-than-done
concepts.  Let's see-- a 5 kilowatt system has a panel area of about 400
square feet.  The modules are mounted on some kind of rack or rail, meaning
the module backs are not a wide open area but are obscured by structural
members.  Your suggestion sounds like a lot of material, a lot of cutting
and fitting and a lot of ugly.  The options are either the flimsy plastic
lattice like you put around your deck or chain link fencing.  Neither
sounds good to me.

Instead, I think we are asking that module manufacturers design PV modules
like... like... like electrical equipment.  You know, with knockouts and
all of that.  That way, we can go down to the local electrical supply and
get the right, listed stuff to safely interconnect our high voltage
modules.  This in lieu of special ordering a constantly changing version of
the proprietary, expensive and hard to obtain wire and connectors that
ironically, offers little protection.

Instead, most of us are becoming glorified stereo system installers, just
plugging and playing.  And hoping no one gets bit.

Respectfully,

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php