no safe modules for ground-mounted arrays[RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Tue Jan 22 09:40:17 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

William,

I agree completely, let me take it a couple steps further.  Anyone who's
ever rolled their own tiltable ground mount rack system from basic aluminum
angle learns the hard way that maintaining clearances over a wide range of
tilt can be tricky, at least for the novice.  Something or other ends up
binding or not clearing properly at some angle.  My point is that the
problem of cutting and fitting custom guards will get that much more
challenging when the requirement to accommodate tilting must also be
met.  Also, whatever guarding and barriers have been added will likely add
significant weight, adding more difficulty and safety concerns to the task
of tilting a larger array section.  As I said earlier, a tiltable mount
system that is not readily accessible, and easily and safely tiltable, is
an array that probably will never be tilted.

So Ray, I guess another entry to your possible list of outcomes might be
the elimination of tiltable ground mount arrays.  (Tilts will still be fine
for skyscraper poles if the owners care to try.)

The solution to this issue ultimately has to start at the module
itself.  PV module design is probably still in its infancy.  The early
designs that led to the basic form factors that we live with, certainly
didn't anticipate a world where billions of PV panels would need to be
readily deployed, while meeting tough safety standards at the same
time.  Protective termination modules require suitably rigid mechanical
backing, but thin fragile silicon array faces do not suffice in this
regard.  Europe and perhaps other countries apparently have determined that
this is not an issue, but that won't be satisfactory here in the US, we all
know it, like it or not.

We installers have to deal with this, and so do the module
manufacturers.  J-boxes are interim solutions, MC/Tyco connectors are
interim solutions.  It will take the module manus at least a few years to
make the next big step, further innovation is needed.  Prodding by the
UL/NEC communities, which I believe is already beginning, will help cause
this to happen.  If we can provide an organized front to keep the pressure
on, we should.  Joel Davidson posted an interesting link on RE markets a
week or so ago about a global over-supply of PV modules on the near
horizon.  That can only help our cause: in a buyer's market, sellers have
to be more willing to bend, unlike the past 4 years.

In the mean time...  Module manufacturers need to maintain their
(understandably flawed) J-box solution, as it already exists, as a real
option for us.  Best available technology guides the practices in many
industries, it should be a valid argument here as well.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com