Evolution of the Quick connect [RE-wrenches]

Sky Sims sky at ecologicalsystems.biz
Sat Jan 12 23:43:12 PST 2008

William,

"Utility drops are not at ground
level."

Utility drops are often not in conduit and come in close to the ground.
Since this isn't the case in 100% of services we might as well stick
with the standard outlet and children sticking forks in them. You
completely ignored this issue. Many people are utility biased and don't
realize it.

"I'd much rather
take my chances hanging from a rugged #1AWG utility drop held in place
by
preforms than a #10 USE with 500 VDC on it terminated in a $2.00 crimp
connector."

You're either a very brave man or very stupid. If I had my choice I'd
take my chances with the solar and the $2 crimp than a utility service.
It's the current that kills you not the volts.  500volts @ 5 amps or
120/240 volts @ 500amps(probably more), Anyone who can do math is going
to choose the solar every time. As most of us know the solar is off half
the time anyway and it would have to be a pretty nice day for a typical
string to be pumping even 350volts @ 5 amps under load. The only
limiting factor on the utility service is the transformers rating.

"No one wants to price solar beyond the reach of any potential user,"

If that's true then stop pushing to have higher standards placed on the
solar industry than those placed on all other power sources. There must
be a balance between safety and affordability. That balance has already
been determined by existing industries. We shouldn't be slanting the
field further in their favor by placing higher burdens on solar than the
others face. We can't protect against stupidity.

"but
wiring is such a small part of the overall cost."

For rich and upper middle class I'd agree adding a few hundred more in
material costs and a few hundred more in labor costs is a small amount.
So what if it takes an extra year or 2 for the solar to pay for itself.
But for the average person every hundred dollars counts.

"Why would we trade that
small price against the life of a child?"

If you're going to pick up the safety banner and start waving it the
least you could do is pick a serious issue. Fix the fork in the outlet
problem or any of a thousand and one other issues that actually kill
people on a regular basis (war, famine, air quality, potential nuclear
fall out etc...). Then once you've fixed some serious problems, lets
talk about solar wire that carries a Service Entrance rating and will
hold up fine against everything but an active attempt to get hurt.

"PS:  If you think high voltage DC is benign, you need a safety
meeting."

Compared to the current standard for all other polluting power sources
solar is safer than iced tea. And if you missed that fact then you need
a class on the hazards of mercury poisoning and radioactive waste.

Sky Sims
Ecological Systems
www.ecologicalsystems.biz
220 County Road 522