[RE-wrenches] FW: Mates Losing time & dates

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Dec 17 12:04:20 PST 2008

Wrenches,
On the issue of Outback Mates failing to control the AGS function properly,
I forwarded a few of the recent posts to one of our off-grid clients who has
a two-year-old quad-stack with 4.4kW PV and a 20kW Onan generator with
two-wire start. This client is very sharp. He sent a description of the
solution that worked for him. He has not swapped his Mate for a newer one.
Allan at PosE

I assumed that it was a software bug, so I did my best to force the software
to "rethink."  First, I tried unplugging the Mate and plugging it back in.
That did not work.  Then I did this, and it has been working fine since:

1. put generator AGS in manual-off;

2. reset the setpoints away from where they were, including setting the 2
minute point above where the batteries were currently sitting so I could
monitor whether the auto-start was working;

3. put AGS to "auto" - exit with "okay";

4. found that the generator started properly;

5. let the generator run till it turned off by itself;

6. reset the setpoints back to the settings I actually wanted them at;

7. turn off AGS and turn AGS back on.

Also, on the various AGS pages, even if a setting is what I want it to be, I
always hit "okay" instead of just moving past it.

Seems that Outback ought to test my simple fix and if it works consistently,
put out at least a bulletin on it.  But of course, we still don't know how
it got stuck in that bug.

-fred