[RE-wrenches] Breaker tripping question

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 17:18:52 PST 2008

Hi Allan I have had this problem.  I can name a few installations where it happens.  I think that it is the high ripple current if you have and average of 35 amps but it comes in a current that is 50% ripple, you have a thermal response of X^2 /2 or about twice the heating.  So a thermal breaker will trip.  A magnetic breaker has magnetic force equal to current, and a 50% duty cycle should average only the same force, but the magnetic buzz seems to trip them also.  The peak force seems to be double, and after a little time ??
So I have had both magnetic and thermal breakers trip below average current when working on a low duty cycle.