[RE-wrenches] Wireless control of off-grid pumps

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed Sep 3 11:42:41 PDT 2008

I have an initial customer meeting next week about solar water pumping. They
want to use two wells in separate locations to fill a large storage cistern
for a community water supply. The wells are in place, as is a tank on a
hill. The water lines are in, but nobody thought to run signal wires between
the wells and the tank. All locations are off-grid.

I am comfortable with the design of all aspects of the system except
wireless signal circuits. I am posting to ask for proven methods of
communicating both tank-full shutoff signals to the pumps (SQFlex with CU200
controller with remote terminals, most likely) and low-tank alarm signal to
an external receiver.

The area may have wireless internet already in place, depending on the
topography of the specific sites and whether they're line-of-sight to
existing wireless access points in the region. Cellular service is unlikely.

I won't know much about the details of the job until we meet. I would like
to be prepared with some suggested approaches. I would appreciate any
assistance.

Allan Sindelar
allan_(at)_positiveenergysolar.com <mailto:allan at positiveenergysolar.com>
NABCEP certified solar PV installer