Outback MX problem [RE-wrenches]

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Wed May 28 12:15:39 PDT 2008

<x-flowed>

I'm having a problem with an Outback MX going into sleep mode and
showing incorrect voltage on the input. It's a single 3524 inverter
with a 4KS25 Surrette battery charged by a Whisper 100 and a 680 watt
array (Evergreen 170's) wired in two strings for 48v. The only time
the MX will charge is if a charge is initiated via FORCE BULK mode or
if the customer turns on her vacuum cleaner and it draws down the
batt. voltage then the MX kicks in. She says she sees the pv output
voltage drop from 70 (sunny day) to as low as 24 then start building
up again. If it stays around 60 then the MX keeps charging but once
it gets back up to 70 then MX cuts out. Bulk set point is at 29.4.

Actual battery voltage measured at the terminals is 25.1 today but
the MX says 29.1.

Outback wants to replace the unit but I'm not convinced yet that it's
defective, just wondering if maybe something else is going on that
I've overlooked. The above behaviour is the same whether there is
wind or no wind so I've ruled out a conflict with the Whisper
controller.

Ron Young

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php