Here we go again![RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Fri Apr 11 16:27:41 PDT 2008

For those of you not around during the 1970's when anyone with a pipe cutter was installing solar DHW systems just to get a Federal tax credit regardless if the systems worked or not, it looks like the same thing is starting to happen in the solar pv business.

I just received a call from an upset homeowner in another state who was in the final stages of ordering a residential grid-tie pv system when he decided he also wanted battery backup. He knew this would require some wiring changes and a different inverter, but when he asked the "solar dealer" how much this change would add to the cost of the proposed grid-tie system the dealer told him - "we cannot do that because it would void the warranty".

I have been concerned for some time that with the ease of installation for most grid-tie systems, more and more installers will be moving into the market having little or no training. Yes, many systems are grid-tie and require little or no inverter programming or setup, but there will still be battery-based systems for years to come and pv installers need to know how to install them and be able to deal with the many other system variations that are sometimes required.

What say yea?

Jeff Yago
DTI Solar

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.