BTU Meter [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell tcreswell at ozarkenergyservices.com
Sat Feb 2 08:51:48 PST 2008

Hello All,

I need to measure the actual hot water usage for a commercial printing
company in order to properly size a solar water heating system.  I’m pretty
sure best way to do this is to install a BTU meter on the existing electric
water heater.  But I’m having a hard time finding a BTU meter that I feel is
appropriately priced for this application.  About the only thing I’ve found
so far is from TCT Solar and they want a little over $600 for it.  Which
might be perfectly fine but I don’t want to spend that much if I don’t have
to.  I could have sworn there was on advertised in Home Power for a while
but looked through about 4 back issues and I can’t find it.

Alternatively, I could install a simple water meter on the water heater for
a lot less money.  I’ve found several models for less then $100.

I could also measure the kWh usage of the water heater with CT style kWh
meter.  Something like an EMON would be required since this application is
three phase.

Of course, the benefit to installing a BTU meter initially is that it could
be reinstalled on the solar water heating system to track performance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Travis Creswell

Ozark Energy Services