BTU Meter [RE-wrenches]

Steve Johnson stevejohnson at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 11:13:52 PST 2008

Travis,

Jeff at Lakeland Electric, a utility, has an extensive program
converting hot water to kwh which are then credited to the customer on
their electric bill.
You might ask him what they use.  I met him at the Southeast Solar
Summit in Oak Ridge last fall.
Steve

Jeff Curry
Alternative Energy Coordinator
Lakeland Electric
501 E Lemon St
Lakeland, FL 33801
Email: jeff.curry at lakelandelectric.com
Phone: 863-834-6853

Travis Creswell wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> I need to measure the actual hot water usage for a commercial printing
> company in order to properly size a solar water heating system.  I’m
> pretty
> sure best way to do this is to install a BTU meter on the existing
> electric
> water heater.  But I’m having a hard time finding a BTU meter that I
> feel is
> appropriately priced for this application.  About the only thing I’ve
> found
> so far is from TCT Solar and they want a little over $600 for it.  Which
> might be perfectly fine but I don’t want to spend that much if I don’t
> have
> to.  I could have sworn there was on advertised in Home Power for a
> while
> but looked through about 4 back issues and I can’t find it.
>

> Alternatively, I could install a simple water meter on the water heater
> for
> a lot less money.  I’ve found several models for less then $100.
>

> I could also measure the kWh usage of the water heater with CT style kWh
> meter.  Something like an EMON would be required since this application
> is
> three phase.
>

> Of course, the benefit to installing a BTU meter initially is that it
> could
> be reinstalled on the solar water heating system to track performance.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Travis Creswell
>
> Ozark Energy Services