Outback X-240 Autotransformer [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Sun Jan 6 12:27:55 PST 2008

<x-flowed>

Hello Wrenches,

I haven't been able to find efficiency specifications for the X-240
in the Outback literature.  Maybe I'm missing it.  I thought I
remembered a list posting saying that it was 80% efficient.  Is that
a correct figure?

If that figure is correct, it seems that it would be really good to
use an external relay in AC coupled systems, that utilize 240 volt
grid tie inverters with only one, 120 volt battery inverter, that
drops the voltage with an X-240.  The grid tie inverter will connect
directly to the grid when it is up, and feed premise loads through
the auto transformer when the grid goes down.

If a PV system has $20,000 worth of modules, a 20% loss would equal
$4,000 worth of silicon.  The $20 relay would be pretty cost effective.

Is the X-240 really only 80% efficient?

Thanks,

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com