LEDs good (was LEDs bad?) [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Dec 18 12:05:14 PST 2007

Forgot to say that I think the article is really poor - the author
clearly wanted it to have a certain slant and found people to support
his conclusion.

There was a comment which said LEDs have 10 times the energy used to
make them - which is probably true of the LED itself, compared to a
small light bulb - but they also last 10 times longer (if well made) and
this energy used to make the LED is probably a very small amount of
energy actually.  I  also can't imagine this is true for the entire LED
christmas light string though... There is probably much more energy used
in making the copper wires for either version than the LEDs and bulbs.

Most of the problems I have seen have been mechanical and with the cheap
resistors that they use to limit the current.

Jeff's comment about them being similar to solar panels is true to a
point - but the UL standard for "holiday decorations" is a joke -
imagine if they required these products to be built, tested and
installed to solar electric system requirements... the excuse is that
these decorations are for "temporary use" - although during the worst
weather conditions and are installed by untrained personnel.

Extensive testing of these LED strings in jump-rope applications has so
far been inconclusive - additional testing has been scheduled for next
July in central Oregon.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com