AC power system basics [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin Drake.Chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Dec 11 11:27:43 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

As I said previously, a disconnected neutral wire will carry the
voltage of the circuit.   AC circuits do not disconnect the neutral
automatically, this seem to be unique to the ground fault protection
on PV arrays.

This, combined with the fact that neutral wires from PV arrays can be
up to 600 VDC creates, in my opinion, a hazard.

I personally never believe a wire is dead, and always check it, no
matter what color.  In most situations, I use the Fluke field tester,
which wouldn't even register a DC wire.  Although I get a lot of
false positives readings, I've never gotten a shock that way.   If a
possibility exists that DC is present, I'd use a multi meter, and
test DC as well as AC.

Electricians tend to be more at ease with neutrals, especially in
residential situations.  I can easily see an apprentice or journeyman
get thrown across the room or off a ladder while working in a
residence, thinking he had a neutral wire from a 120 volt system.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com