AC power system basics [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Mon Dec 10 17:00:35 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Drake:

I am mystified as to why one would think a neutral wire is not
dangerous.  First of all a lay person should assume all wires are
dangerous-- it's common sense and a very common reaction.  Secondly, an
experienced electrician will know that a neutral with a load, when
disconnect from the neutral bus, will carry the circuit voltage at whatever
amperage the load will support.  Are you under the impression a white wire
is or should be intrinsically safe, or did I misunderstand your message?

Furthermore, those of us who have fried appliances by inadvertently
disconnected the neutral on a multi-wire branch circuit know even more
thoroughly the implications of a disconnected neutral.  (I get most of my
lessons the hard way).

It seems to me that white is the logical color for a grounded DC or AC lead
and that any conductor should be respected as energized unless proven
otherwise.

William Miller

PS:  With all due respect, I am starting to think that, even though there
are many very talented people in this industry, there may be some lack of
fundamental understanding about standard AC power distribution amongst
us.  I recall the recent discussion about powering one apartment by running
an extension cord from another.  Basic understanding about how a very
common AC power system works should have supplied the answer and common
sense should prevent anyone from even attempting that idea.

Again, no criticism meant in regards to anyone on this list.  It is crucial
for the good of entire solar industry that all of us have adequate
training, but I am wondering how complete that training is.

WM

PPS:  If anyone here has questions about the above and wants to ask me off
list, I am happy to elaborate.  Don't be shy, this is important stuff and
you need to learn it somewhere....

WM

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php