Flex ware inverter bypass slide [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Thu Nov 29 18:48:44 PST 2007

<x-flowed>

Friends:

Todd raises an important question here:  Where in the circuit should the
generator input breaker be located?  I like to be able to de-energize all
of the busses in a given enclosure without having to walk any
distance.  If, however, the generator disconnect is prior to the generator
buses, opening the generator breaker disables the bypass system.

Another feature I desire is to be able to de-energize generator feed to the
inverter(s).  If you are bypassing the inverter, it has most likely
failed.  If it failed catastrophically (or "let the smoke out", as we way),
you need to remove both DC and AC feeds to it so it does not catch
fire.  To do this and still allow bypass operation, you need a breaker
after the generator buss, right?

Adding to this input conundrum are the breakers for the X-240 if one is
generator balancing.  So, to do an installation with a 240 VAC generator
and one inverter correctly, one needs four sets of breakers:  1: 2 pole gen
input breaker, 2: 2 poleX240 breaker, 3: at least one pole FX input breaker
and, 4: the bypass breaker.  This is a lot of breakers required to just get
Generator power into one inverter!!  This is why I always advocate for the
four position Outback system even for one inverter.  It has so much more
breaker space!

One relief I have for this situation is to use the X-240 breaker as the
generator input breaker.  Considering this case were we are converting the
generator from 120 to 240 VAC, we are feeding the generator directly into
the X240 anyway.  Furthermore, if the amount of generator current we can
feed through the X-240 is limited to 25 AAC, this is the breaker to
use.  See link: http://mpandc.com/case_studies/case_studies.html

Lastly, Christopher Freitas, a question for you:  In the Flexware 500,
where are we supposed to mount the cooling fan???

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com