AC Hydro and battery support [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 29 14:05:04 PST 2007

Tump wrote:
> I have an installation here in Maine & I would like your input as far as
> what I have proposed.Site is a remote trail "HUT" situation running 2
> fridges, commercial kitchen,circulating pumps for radiant
heat & domestic H2o max occupancy of 40 people.

Sounds like a great project and very workable.

> System; quad stack FW1000 3524VFX ,15 EG190s W/ Apollo CC + an AC 5kW
> 240 v hydro. Inverter 1 = L1 AC source is a 15 kW generator Inv,#2 = L2
> AC is gen, inverter 3 = L1 AC source Hydro Inv 4 L2 w/AC hydro. I am
> hoping that the hydro keeps my battery bank charged as well as  feeding
> loads, in the event that my loads are more then the hydro can support
> then the #1&2 battery/inverters will add additional current.

So the hydro must be a fully regulated type - i.e. able to handle stand
alone operation of AC loads with reasonable frequency regulation?

You can have two inverters fed with one AC source (fuel powered
generator) and a second pair of inverters fed with a different AC source
(AC hydro) but the two pairs of inverters (1+2 & 3+4) can not be
operated in parallel since the frequency of the fuel powered generator
will not be syncronized with the AC hydro's frequency.

> Should I have 2 hubs , inverters #1&2 on one & 3&4 on the other?

Yes - the AC output of the first pair (1+2) needs to be kept separately
from the AC output of the second pair (3+4).  Both 1 and 3 inverters
will be masters and 2 and 4 will be slaves L2.

> Load dump is AC contactor w/ 12 VDC coil  off inverter 3, this will
> be dumping AC to a hot water heater. The 2nd load dump will be a
> baseboard heater, configured off 4th inverter.

That is fine - are the dump loads 120VAC or 240VAC?

> I would like to know if this will work, will inverters 3&4 support
> additional loads?

Yes - the power from the hydro will charge the battery even when the
fuel powered generator is running.  Should work fine I would think.

> Suggestions  for setting inverters?

See above

> I am also installing a DCFX monitor, will this need an additional
> shunt if my PV is the only DC source aside from the inverters DC
> Charging?

Not required but is very nice to have.

> Does the FLX1000 have a 1KAmp shunt installed at the time of shipping?

No - it has a single 500 amp shunt with mounting holes for two
additional shunts.  The FBUS will connect the three shunts together when
mounted to the provided holes.

> Did Greg ever finish the AC coupling /battery charging software?

No changes have been necessary so far as long as the OutBack FX inverter
is the regular "off-grid" variety.  We have over fifty AC coupled
systems in operation now around the world without any significant
problems - many have been running for well over a year in full time
residences.  We have done with with almost every grid-tie inverter
available in the US including SMA, PV Powered, Magnetek, Fronius and
even Xantrex.

The challenge with AC coupling has been what to do with the power when
the battery is full.  Most of our customers have wanted to do something
useful with it instead of just turning off the grid-tie inverter - so we
are working on some more advanced AC diversion schemes to improve these
configurations.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.