AC Hydro and battery support [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Nov 29 15:32:20 PST 2007

Tump wrote:
> I have an installation here in Maine & I would like your input as far as
> what I have proposed.Site is a remote trail "HUT" situation running 2
> fridges, commercial kitchen,circulating pumps for radiant heat &
> domestic H2o max occupancy of 40 people.

Sounds like a great application.

> System; quad stack FW1000 3524VFX ,15 EG190s W/ Apollo CC + an AC 5kW
> 240 v hydro. Inverter 1 = L1 AC source is a 15 kW generator Inv,#2 = L2
> AC is gen, inverter 3 = L1 AC source Hydro Inv 4 L2 w/AC hydro. I am
> hoping that the hydro keeps my battery bank charged as well as  feeding
> loads, in the event that my loads are more then the hydro can support
> then the #1&2 battery/inverters will add additional current.

Yes - this should work fine - although the AC output of the first pair
of inverters (1&2) needs to be kept separate from the output of the
second pair of inverters (3&4) since the two AC sources will not be
synchronized to each other. This requires a separate AC load panel.

> Should I have 2 hubs , inverters #1&2 on one & 3&4 on the other?

Yes - one hub will be connected to the inverters 1&2 while the second
hub would be connected to inverters 3&4.  The MATE should be on the
first HUB along with the FLEXnet DC monitor.  Inverters 1 and 3 will
need to be programmed as MASTERs while inverters 2 and 4 will need to be
programmed as SLAVEs L2.  The MASTERs must be plugged into port 1 of the
HUBs

> Load dump is AC contactor w/ 12 VDC coil  off inverter 3, this will be
> dumping AC to a hot water heater. The 2nd load dump will be a baseboard
> heater, configured off 4th inverter.

Sounds great.

> I would like to know if this will work, will inverters 3&4 support
> additional loads?

Yes - the AC hydro will charge the battery through the inverters 3&4 and
the DC power will be used to power the loads.  When the fuel powered
generator is running the AC hydro will charge the battery.

> Suggestions  for setting inverters?

See above for stacking instructions.  The rest depends on the battery
type and is pretty standard stuff.

> I am also installing a DCFX monitor, will this need an additional shunt
> if my PV is the only DC source aside from the inverters DC Charging?

It is not required but is recommended.  With a separate shunt for the PV
source you can see what the PV is doing separate from just the "NET"
current the battery is getting - which is all you get with a single
shunt.

> Does the FW1000 have a 1KAmp shunt installed at the time of shipping?

No - the FW1000 comes with a single 500 amp DC shunt with two SBUS
terminal plates on each end that allows connection of four large cables
to each side.  This is enough for a set of four 48 volt DC inverters.
With your four VFX3524 inverter you should install a second shunt and
have each pair of inverters on their own shunt.

The FW1000 includes mounting holes for a total of three 500 amp shunts
which can be connected together to form a "T" configuration using the
FBUS plate.  The third shunt would be for the PV input.  We do not
require a "NET" shunt as with the old trimetric/pentametric systems - we
do the math in the FLEXnet DC to make it all work.

> Did Greg ever finish the AC coupling /battery charging software?

No changes have be necessary - we have well over 50 AC coupled systems
operating all over the world with PV, Wind and Hydro sources.  We have
done them with just about every grid-tie inverter sold in the US -
including SMA, PV powered, Fronius, Magenetek, and yes, even Xantrex.

We advise using our standard "off-grid" inverters with AC coupled
systems BTW.

The only challenge has been what to do with the excess power when the
battery is full - most of our customers want to use it for something
useful rather than throw it away by turning off the PV array by sending
it to a dump load via a diversion control system.  We are working on
some new advanced AC diversion schemes to make this work even better and
will include those in future versions of the FX once they have been
tested in the field.

Christopher

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.