Organization practices [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at charter.net
Sat Nov 3 12:23:26 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Ron:

I have the same problem.  My hands are usually cut to heck by all of the
sharp objects one has to work around as an electrician.  I use spreadsheets
for any calculation such as this.  I can visually review my calculations to
avoid input errors.  I keep all my calculations for review at a later
time.  Each project gets a new page.  I have written macros to create a
table of contents for the work book so I can find each project
quickly.  The built in search functions of Excel or any reputable
spreadsheet application will do the same thing.

I remember working with a highly respected broadcast engineer on a project
a number of years ago.  He kept meticulous notes in a field notebook with
numbered pages.  It made a big impression, partly due to his immense
reputation in that industry.  I told myself that when I grow up I want to
cultivate that same kind of reputation and develop the organization skills
as well.

My heroes also include:  Thomas Edison, for his prodigious output, Eli
Whitney for inventing the interchangeable part and lots of engineers I have
had the privilege of working with and who have set a good example for me in
work style.

William Miller

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & how to change your email address: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php