Battery enclosures [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Fri Oct 5 09:15:22 PDT 2007

A bit more, then, Dan,

I went back into our records. It looks like we have installed at least 30 of
Zephyr Industries' Power Vent fans in 12, 24, or 48V. In that time (about 8
years) I know of one that has failed. So they're pretty reliable. We
purposely slip-fit them into 2" white PVC in order to make them easily
replaceable if ever needed. We used to run them off of the auxiliary relays
in Trace/Xantrex SW inverters. Now we use MX60 auxiliary, or occasionally
the VFX auxiliary.

And here's a followup note about using the MX60 auxiliary terminals: it's OK
to power the Power Vent directly off of the aux terminals without using a
relay. I had been concerned about this, even though we hadn't seen any
failures of the MX60 (due to this), and I had saved some e-mail messages
between Christopher Freitas of Outback and Randy Cone of Zephyr that
suggested it was within the 200mA capacity of the aux circuit. At SolarPower
2007 Chris assured me that it was safe to run. That's good news, because
it's a simple and quick hookup with a 12V Power Vent.

Allan at PosE