Battery enclosures and NEC [RE-wrenches]

Dan Brown Cvsolar2 at aol.com
Thu Oct 4 23:15:02 PDT 2007

hey all;
       one of the biggest issues I've run into with battery box's is that of
a "reliable" vent system -- fans are nice, but their life span can be woefully
short -- seems once they quit it doesn't take long for terminals to look like
something from your sister's fridge. i like to try to find a way to provide
critter proof protection, but keep a natural open air flow in mind especially
for off grid.  the last few I've done have a protective base, wood frame and
rat wire sides and a plywood range hood type top (with a slanted access so crap
doesn't get stashed on it).
       as for insulation, batteries just don't do well below freezing. seems
to me insulating a building and keeping the batteries above like 40 is a
better approach.
       my 2 cents. db

Dan Brown

Foxfire Energy