Battery enclosures and NEC [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Thu Oct 4 14:44:27 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

Allan,

Thanks for the suggestion about trying to find plywood sheet stock in
other more suitable dimensions.  I've come up against the "48 in.
barrier" myself.  I'll have to see what other sizes we can get in this
region.  There's only so much scrap OSB and plywood a guy can use,
unless you've got unlimited space in your shop for building out shelves.

I incorporated insulation in battery boxes from the start because
that's what everyone said you should do.  I wondered myself about the
value of the insulation, and I've come up with a couple reasons.

You're right about battery temps gradually finding the mean ambient
temperature.  On the other hand, limiting the amount and rate of the
temperature swings is not a bad thing.  From my days in manufacturing
operations, I learned that if you want to stress test any type of
device to accelerate failures, you subject it to temperature cycling.
Temperature cycling is a very effective mechanical test, because the
differences in temperature coefficients of expansion within the device
create stresses on various connections, and those stresses can work
connections loose or fracture joints over time.  I don't know how much
(if any) meaningful benefit is to be had by limiting temperature swings
on batteries, but it can't hurt.

Another benefit of insulation, within a location that is subject to
temperature swings, is that the batteries will all change their
temperatures at virtually the same rate.   Without insulation, the
batteries on the perimeter will experience faster and greater
temperature swings than the ones in the middle.  Since we're charge
compensating all the batteries the same way, better to have them all
maintain the same temperature so that they stay as well matched as
possible, in every way.

Also, in many areas of the country, nightime winter temperatures
regularly dip well below freezing, but average temperatues (except on
the north sides of buildings) rarely do.  In these cases freeze
potential is seriously limited by insulation, given the large amount of
battery thermal mass that is regulating the temps inside the box.

Of course, if the batteries are in an unregulated but well buffered
space (such as a basement), the ambient swings are going to be very
gradual, and the benefits I mentioned above probably wouldn't amount to
much.  If the space is not buffered and the swings can be large, I
think there's great benefit, even though I can't really quantify it.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey, UT