Optimizing OutBack GridTie [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Sat May 5 10:39:38 PDT 2007

<x-flowed>

It is pretty much plug and play. I make no adjustments to the factory
settings. The unit sells when the batteries get above 51.2 (48 volt
system) below that the batteries sit at where ever they are, (and the
inverter goes into a "silent" mode to reduce power consumption).The
inverter will not charge ("refloat") the batteries unless they get below
48.8 volts.

You will be pleased with its performance! The only wart (that
Christopher has yet to respond to all the recent questions to this list
about) is about generator support... which it unfortunately it does not
do. It only has one AC input, so when the grid goes down after the
batteries are depleted you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

Xantrex is coming out with the "XW" which will support two AC inputs and
have a split phase 120/240 output using one inverter. If you have some
time before this job goes in, you might want to wait to see how that
unit performs and choose a more modern, full featured unit over the OB.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/1791/docserve.asp

Todd

Chris Worcester wrote:

>I am setting up our first grid tie OB GVFX3524 with PV; approx 500 watts of
>1973 Solarex modules on a Zomeworks tracker, using an MX60. We did add the
>Hub4 and a Mate 2.
>Our client had an SW4024 from '94 running the house we removed.
>He wants the OB to be set up to use the grid as little as possible and have
>this setting be automated.
>What combination of settings will accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any
>and all comments, suggestions, etc.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Chris Worcester
>NABCEP Certified PV Installer TM