Grid sell with Outback, solar,and generator [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at netscape.com
Sat Apr 28 09:38:24 PDT 2007

So Jeff
What is battery voltage?  How many AHr
Battery brand?
Do you want auto gen start? or only manual?
Do you want auto generator recycle? or only manual?
Does the generator pick up only the critical circuits
panel (CCP) or the CCP and generator special panel?

Darryl

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for help!

Normally I would not bother having grid-tie with such a small array, but they want it and they plan to double array size later so I am designing for future.

Generator will be 12 kW Kohler with 2 wire start
Grid power is flakey due to end of line issues
Pole mounted array is 1320 watt to double later, so design is for 2640 watts solar.
Batteries - 8 @ 6-volt L-16 DEcca @ 370 A-Hr (20 hr rate) wired for 48 volts
Inverter - Outback GVFX3648 w/ 120-240 volt output transformer (well pump)
MX-60 charge controller
Mate

I usually have a generator panel and 100 amp transfer switch that breaks off to feed the inverter and larger generator back-up loads like a washer and dryer, furnace fan, small bedroom AC unit.

I also always have a critical loads panel supplied by the inverter for lights, kitchen, A/V equipment, interior outlets.

The main 200 amp house panel (or panels) keeps all air conditioning loads, heat pump compressors, ect.  We need lots of AC and dehumidification on east coast any most pv systems are not sized for this.  No grid power - no cooling!

I have designed and installed tons of grid-tie systems without batteries, and many more off-grid and solar/gen systems with batteries, but have only used the "ol" Trave SW40's when the client wanted both "sell" mode and batteries and generator since it has the SECOND AC INPUT!  Yes, I know it is less efficient.

Doing grid sell with generator backup using an Outback inverter is a first for me.  Our shop can build any type of control or relay setup you all recommend, I'm just not sure I want some "home-made" solution for this client.

Thought I would try the Outback grid-tie version on this project which is on the way, but after all the recent posts about having to switch settings or modes using the mate to keep from either selling power to the generator or some other issues I am having second thoughts and may switch to the SW40 if it is still available.  I have had an SW40 powering my "almost" off-grid home for 10 years (after retiring two older 2524 units) which has taken us through lots of power outages and generator use when grid is lost, and it still turns my electric meter backwords just fine in sell mode.

Thanks again for any help,

Jeff Yago

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

- - - -